Give life the Green thumbs up!
This incredibly relevant industry for “The Garden City” of Toowoomba and it’s surrounds, is a blooming industry with employment and demand in this sector expected to grow strongly by 2020.
If you love the outdoors and are seeking a career in landscaping, parks and gardens, bush regeneration, weed control, as an environmental worker or perhaps even an arborist then we give this course a big green thumb’s up for getting you started!
This training course will teach you how to:
- Recognise, propagate and plant different plants
- Operate horticultural machinery and equipment
- Treat weeds, pests and diseases
- Construct landscape
- Install paving
- Erect retaining walls
- Establish turf
Relevant Career Pathways
This qualification underpins a range of work functions and job roles that can lead to a horticultural trade qualification. Potential career options include:
- Environmental worker
- Bush regenerator
- Horticulture Assistant
- Nursery worker
- Parks and gardens
This qualification has no formal entry criteria however DGT has the following selection criteria for this qualification;
- Year 10 or equivalent.
- Participate and successfully pass an induction day. This will assess:
- Interest in the horticulture industry
- Ability to follow instructions.
- Ability to actively participate and work well with others.
- Aptitude to complete the theory components of the course.
If you’re under 18 years of age, special enrolment conditions may apply.
Students must bring;
- a large water bottle
- full-brim hat
- steel capped boots
Students will be expected to wear appropriate PPE at all times, including their uniform, hat, and boots. This is a requirement of DGT. Failure to do so will result in removal from the course.
Workbooks and learning resources will be provided. DGT will also provide tools to undertake practical works on site.
This training course is made up of 15 total number of units as listed below;
- AHCPCM201– Recognise Plants
- AHCPMG201– Treat Weeds
- AHCPMG202– Treat Plant Pests, Diseases and Disorders
- AHCSOL202– Assist with Soil or Growing Media Sampling and Testing
- AHCWHS201– Participate in Work Health and Safety Processes
- AHCLSC202– Construct low-profile timber or modular retaining walls
- AHCLSC204– Lay Paving
- AHCMOM203– Operate basic machinery and equipment
- AHCWRK204– Work effectively in the industry
- AHCWRK205– Participate in Workplace Communications
- AHCWRK209– Participate in Environmentally Sustainable Work Practices.
- CPCCOHS1001A– Work Safely in the construction Industry
- CPCCVE1011A– Undertake a basic Construction Project
- MEM18001C– Use Hand Tools
- MEM18002B– Use Power Tools/ Hand Held Operations
This course will be run over 12 months in 2018, one day per week.
Theory days held at DGT’s Training Centre with practical days held in locations around Toowoomba.
DGT Training Centre is located at;
56 Duhig Street
Harristown, Queensland 4350
Funding & Fees
Course cost is fully funded by VETis. Eligibility Criteria Applies.
Please register your interest for our 2018 intake with your school V.E.T coordinator.
AHC20416 Certificate II in Horticulture
This course is available to start anytime pending requirements are met.
Please book with our friendly DGT team by contacting us here or by phoning 1300 010 185. Enquire Now