Get the green thumbs up!
There has never been a better time to pull your gardeners gloves on. This incredibly relevant industry for “The Garden City” of Toowoomba and it’s surrounds, is a blooming industry with employment and demand in this sector expected to grow strongly by 2020.
If you love the outdoors and are seeking a career in landscaping, parks and gardens, bush regeneration, weed control, as an environmental worker or perhaps even an arborist then we give this course a big green thumb’s up for getting you started!
Benefit from an in demand qualification to help set you up for a career in the industry. Gain real world practical experience with local reputable horticultural businesses to get you work ready and learn from quality trainers with decades of experience which will mean you have a broader understanding of course theory.
DGT help provide real-world opportunities and work placement where students can practice and show off their skills to others. Our team offers considerable employment placement assistance at the conclusion of the course.
This course will teach you how to:
- Identify hazards
- Assess and control risk
- Contribute to WHS in the workplace
- Manage and consult on WHS issues
- Build business relationships
- Plan and implement emergency response procedures
- Establish, review and evaluate WHS measures and initiatives
Relevant Career Pathways
- Environmental worker
- Bush regenerator
- Horticulture Assistant
- Nursery worker
- Parks and gardens
This qualification has no formal entry criteria however DGT has the following selection criteria for this qualification;
- Participate and successfully pass an induction day. This will assess:
- Interest in the horticulture industry.
- Ability to follow instructions.
- Ability to actively participate and work well with others.
- Aptitude to complete the theory components of the course.
If you’re under 18 years of age, special enrolment conditions may apply.
Students must bring;
- a large water bottle
- full-brim hat
- steel capped boots
Students will be expected to wear appropriate PPE at all times, including their uniform, hat, and boots. This is a requirement of DGT. Failure to do so will result in removal from the course.
Workbooks and learning resources will be provided. DGT will also provide tools to undertake practical works on site.
This training course is made up of 15 total number of units as listed below;
- AHCWHS201 Participate in work health and safety processes
- AHCPCM201 Recognise plants
- AHCPMG201 Treat weeds
- AHCPMG202 Treat plant pests, diseases and disorders
- AHCSOL202 Assist with soil or growing media sampling and testing
- CPCCWHS1001 Prepare to work safely in the construction industry
- AHCWRK205 Participate in workplace communication
- AHCWRK204 Work effectively in the industry
- AHCWRK209 Participate in environmentally sustainable work practices
- CPCCVE1011A Undertake a basic construction project
- MEM18001C Use hand tools
- MEM18002B Use power tools/hand held operations
- AHCMOM203 Operate basic machinery and equipment
- AHCLSC202 Construct low-profile timber or modular retaining walls
- AHCLSC204 Lay paving
Reissue of certificates will incur a cost of $30
Skilling Queenslanders for Work classes will run Monday's to Thursday's from 8:30am to 3:30pm.
Theory days held at DGT’s Training Centre with practical days held on site which will be confirmed with you during your training.
DGT Training Centre is located at;
56 Duhig Street
Harristown, Queensland 4350
Funding & Fees
This course is available under Skilling Queenslanders for Work funding.
For those students not eligible for funding and still wishing to undertake study the course can be purchased at the below full fee rate.
Full fee students: $3200
ADDITIONAL STUDENT FEES
Replacement uniforms: $30 per shirt, $50 per pair of pants.
Replacement PPE: At cost.
Replacement student resources / workbook: $20 per item.
Queensland Government User choice scheme
Those students commencing or currently in a traineeship may be eligible to undertake this qualification under the User Choice scheme. Further information can be sought through our Student and Client Support team.
AHC20416 Certificate II in Horticulture
This course is available to start anytime pending requirements are met.
Please book with our friendly DGT team by contacting us here or by phoning 1300 010 185. Enquire Now