You asked, so we answered.

Looking for an apprenticeship or traineeship? See our answers to questions on how to find one that suits you. 

What is the difference between an apprenticeship and a traineeship?

An apprenticeship is a legally-binding training agreement between DGT and an apprentice that combines practical learning in a real world environment. Apprenticeships provide a trade qualification at Certificate III level or above. Most apprenticeships comprise of four stages and take around four years to complete successfully when employed full time. Training occurs both on and off the job and will involve some training with a Supervised Registered Training Organisation (SRTO) such as TAFE, an Agricultural College or a private training provider like DGT. On successful completion, apprentices receive a nationally recognised certificate of competency.

A traineeship is a ‘mini’ apprenticeship and provides a nationally recognised qualification at Certificate Level II, III or IV. Traineeships generally only last for one year, however many new traineeships at Level III and above are two and in some cases three years in duration. Training can occur on and off the job, however in the majority of cases the training can be completed fully on the job with the help of DGT.

What is the length of an apprenticeship or traineeship?

Full time apprenticeships take up to 4 years.
Traineeships will vary in length from 12 months to 3 years.

Where the apprenticeship or traineeship is part time, the time is doubled. To get a head start students are able to begin a school-based apprenticeship or traineeship as part of their high school studies.

Can anyone apply for an Apprenticeship or Traineeship?

As a general rule, only Australian citizens and New Zealand citizens who have entered Australia on a valid passport, have unrestricted rights to apprenticeships and traineeships in Australia. Any other person wanting to participate in an apprenticeship or traineeship in Australia must have a visa allowing employment.

How do I look for what types are out there?

There are over 100 apprenticeships and over 400 traineeships currently available in Queensland. This career path is primarily for those seeking a trade however ever increasingly this path is extended into more traditional corporate careers such as business. 

Check out Apprenticeships here - from Aircraft Engineering to Watchmaking. 

Check out Traineeships here - from Accounts Clerk to Youth Worker. 

How do I go about applying for an Apprenticeship or Traineeship?

First step is to REGISTER online and to check our CURRENT VACANCIES.

You are also welcome to book an appointment with our employment consultants by contacting us.
Once you have an appointment come to our office at the time allocated located at 56 Duhig Street and fill out a general application form and have a chat about your requirements.

We will then check for any suitable matches from our host employer database. If a suitable match is found we will be in touch. If there isn't anything at that time your details will be on the system for a period of six (6) months. During that time, you will be considered for any position that you have a preference down for that becomes available. You are more than welcome to reapply after the six month lapses.

Am I too young, old, inexperienced etc. to apply?

You can apply for an apprenticeship or traineeship from the age of 15, some even from as young as 13. You are able to apply all the way until you are 64! Apprenticeships are not just for the young!

There is however strict Queensland legislation that applies age restrictions to particular apprenticeships and traineeships. There are no general pre requisites although certain industries may look for skills or experience in certain areas. If an applicant is under 18 years of age, a parent or guardian must sign the training contract and take responsibilities for some of the training program.

To find out more please check out the Queensland Training Information Service (QTIS) website.

How does it work with DGT?

DGT is your legal employer, we hire you, pay you and administer all training sessions and paperwork. We then facilitate placing you with skilled host employers within the community. Their job is to provide you the on the job skills to satisfy your training requirements whilst offering a safe and supervised environment to do so. 

What if I'm not happy with my host employer?

DGT works on a best match philosophy and many qualifying questions are asked before placing you with a potential host. If however you find that your situation really isn't a good match, DGT will do everything in our power to help mediate a solution. If no solution can be reached we will assist you in changing host employers all at no cost to you or your training. 

Why am I better off as an apprentice rather than a Labourer?

We have many people come and see us after years of being a Labourer, now looking for an apprenticeship. Why? Well from their personal experience although the money may look attractive to begin with, it rarely increases past that point and you don't end up with any qualifications or formal training meaning your future prospects are lessened. Labouring is hard work both physically and mentally and you will reach a point of realisation that you may need to nationally qualify and formalise your skill sets. 

Although an apprentice may begin on a lower wage, this increases every year and once you are qualified you have the ability to be your own boss, set your own prices for your work and really focus on building a brighter future for you and your family. Your ultimate yearly salary is then unlimited to what you make of it. 

Please note that the wages for apprentices and trainees varies between industries. If you are full-time or part-time you are paid a weekly wage, plus any penalties, annual leave, sick leave and superannuation. For more information, please contact DGT.

Where is the office (directions)?

Our office is currently located at 56 Duhig Street and our training facilities are located at 56 Duhig Street, Harristown. 

What is Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL)?

Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) is where apprentices and trainees may be granted credit where they have previously completed equivalent competencies in the same field as their apprenticeship or traineeship.

It looks at and recognises your current skills and knowledge, no matter how, when or where the learning occurred, and may provide credits or reduce your training time.

What is the Trade Support Loan?

Trade Support Loans are intended to assist apprentices with everyday costs while they complete their apprenticeship. The Trade Support Loans are paid in instalments totalling up to $20,000 over the duration of four years.

For more information on these loans contact The Department of Education, Training & Employment.

Do I supply my own Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)?

Depending upon your industry, Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) may be issued by our Employment Consultants at ‘sign up’. PPE must be worn at all times as instructed. If you are unsure of the correct use of your PPE, ask your Supervisor or Employment Consultant for instructions.

What is Living Away From Home Allowance?

The Living Away From Home Allowance (LAFHA) is an allowance eligible for full and part-time Australian Apprentices and Australian School-Based Apprentices during the first three years of their training if they have to move away from their parents’ or guardians’ home in order to take up or retain an Australian Apprenticeship.

How do I submit a time sheet?

Time sheets are completed using DGT's own online time sheet service. Time sheets need to be accurately completed, digitally signed by you and digitally verified by your supervisor (Host Employer/TAFE/SRTO teacher).

They must be submitted to DGT by Monday at 10:00am. Your employment consultant will sign you up to this system upon beginning your apprenticeship. 

If for some reason you are unable to submit online you may also fill out a timesheet book and - 

  • hand deliver to the DGT office at 56 Duhig Street

  • send by fax (07) 4638 0368

  • email a copy to - timesheets@dgt.org.au

We also offer an after hours’ drop box in the door at 56 Duhig Street to allow for after hours’ delivery of time sheets.

How do I apply for annual leave?

You must consult your Employment Consultant regarding your intention to take annual leave at least two weeks prior to the proposed date. You should ensure your Host Employer is in agreement with leave dates. 

What do I need to do if I am sick?

You must contact your Employment Consultant at DGT or have someone make contact on your behalf before the normal commencement time. It is also your responsibility to contact your Host Employer, or if applicable, the Supervising Registered Training Organisation e.g. TAFE, in your absence.

Do I receive a reimbursement for my travel and accommodation while I am at college?

The Department of Education, Training and Employment provides travel and accommodation subsidies to eligible apprentices and trainees to assist in meeting the additional costs associated with attending college.

Still wanting more? Check out this fantastic government resource on all things apprenticeships. 

Clear Pixel

Policies   |   AQTF Audit   |   WGEA Report   |   RTO 1719   |   © Copyright 2019